March 2015 Masterclass: Coaching at Identity Level with NLP
Coaching at Identity Level with NLP
Developmental Learning, Psychological Maturity and Post-Traumatic Growth
Positive transitions - adaptive responses
Our lives are richly full of challenges and change. Managing positive changes - new partnerships, new family, homes, jobs, roles and responsibilities - requires that we somehow evolve and grow.
We can usually adapt naturally and even smoothly to our new situation. We somehow develop new skills and start to tap into our previously unexpressed potential. We update and elaborate our inner, working models of reality and expand our sense of our relationships and our behavioural choices to fit the new circumstances.
Human beings are designed to adapt and to learn at multi levels. We grow up. It's natural to be able to integrate new information and to positively optimise the way we live. It means we can thrive in a changing world.
'Negative' changes- natural resilience
Loss, bereavement, life-changing accidents, trauma, abuse, ageing - can also be times of personal and professional growth. They can also positively trigger a renewal and expansion of the self.
And sometimes we get stuck...
.... or even regress. It's like we don't know who we are anymore. The familiar reference points are changed, it's hard to orientate and create new meanings and purpose. Our habitual way of being in the world no longer fits.
In a crisis and problem mode people say things like;
- I don't feel like myself any more.
- I lost myself. I don't know who I am any more.
- I'm living a lie.
- How did I end up here!?
- I can feel I'm not living up to my potential.
- It's like I'm just watching myself all the time, it's not me living my life.
- I don't belong anywhere.
- People like me don't get/ do that.
- I should/ ought/ need to somehow be a different/ better person.
- I don't deserve to be happy/ loved/ healthy / successful.
What is Coaching at Identity Level?
Coaching at Identity Level is about supporting and sponsoring someone in terms of whothey are as a unique person, living in their unique yet shared world. It uses the tools and approaches of NLP in a integrated way to help someone grow and change in times of personal crisis and transition. It supports them to adequately and generatively meet new challenges in their life.
OneDay Masterclass for CPD and Personal Development
This one day Masterclass is for anyone with NLP skills who wants to continue to personallydevelop themselves in their own life journey. And it's also offered as advanced, professional developmentfor coaches, trainers and leaders to support a skilful, generative engagement with clients and others at this more systemic and complex level.
It's an essential framework for enriching your practice with NLP and widening the range of client and organisational issues you can help positively change.
The programme will referencekey powerful tools for change from basic NLP - Belief Change, PerceptualPositions, Meta-Model, Timelines, Anchoring, Reframing, Well -Formed Outcomes etc as well as new models and background from developmental psychology and other current research and approaches (see below).
We will use the central concept in contemporary neuro-psychology that human beings are both 'embodied' and 'embedded' . That is to say that the 'self' is a multifaceted construct of a personal 'mind-body' living system and also one that is lived and shaped in social and relational connection.
We will use both a 'top down' approach - which focusses on personal vision, values and mission etc - and also a 'bottom-up' approach in which an implicit developmental model in NLP can bediscovered in key Practitioner skills and tools.
- Exploringthe 'Shadow' - Learning to be more in rapport with ourselves. Can we deeply acknowledge and transform disavowed aspects of the self - anger, hatred, grief etc., resolve inner conflict, bring kindness, respect and positive connection to self and others?
- Working with Stories and Metaphors - We live by metaphors and stories. Can we learn to loosen the attraction and 'truth' of stories we tell about ourselves and our lives which keep us stuck and unresourceful? How can we construct possible new versions of past and present events, create new meanings and perspectives, unveil new strengths, capabilities and choices?
- Re-calibrating our Identity and Survival Responses - Learning to be less aroused, hyper-vigilant and triggered, in fight/ flight/ freeze survival mode in everyday life. Can we learn to re-regulate our emotional patterns to be more 'realistic', present, ecological andsane?
...and at the global level - for leadership and innovation in a changing world
In our rapidly changing and uncertain world we need to develop these new skills and ways of being that allow us to grow, evolve and meet the challenges of our times. The old ways and certainties of the world are disintegrating and new technologies, new ideas, new ways of relating to each other, for a worthwhile human future, become ever more urgent.