July 2014 Masterclass: Cognitive Bias, Beliefs and Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
The research is piling up - human beings are built to have weird biases in their perception and thinking! Some of these biases are biological - the 'blind spot' in our visual system - some cultural, like perceptions of time and space, reciprocity and fairness. We just know that without meaning to, we excel at deleting, distorting, and generalising our experience - for better or for worse, our maps are not the so-called 'territory'.
There is also growing research on 'state' - how we feel, and how we manage our emotions and energy - which shows that any current state has a direct impact on the quality and meaning of our experience. How we feel either supports or diminishes our ability to be focussed, present and aware, make wise choices, be kind, be healthy and generally enjoy life. The modern plagues of anxiety, stress and depression testify to the importance of getting these two aspects of our lives - cognitive processing and state management - working together optimally.
"Two basic mistakes... we tend to identify with our own thoughts, and this often creates a destructive emotional reality... And we are afraid of so many of our feelings and ...close off much of our inner life and the wellspring of true health." Richard Moss, Inside Out Healing.
In this special one day event we will be working with;
Key mind-body tools for clarity, awareness and spirit:
- Cognitive biases and beliefs: using current research from psychology, neurology, social anthropology and cognitive linguistics
- Tools from NLP: to self-correct, disambiguate, create workable 'maps'. The NLP tools will include the Meta Model, Reframing, Submodalities, Meta-Programmes and Belief Change
- States, emotions and energy: using research from mindfulness and other mind-body approaches to calming and quieting the mind, and restoring and nurturing the body
- Approaches and skills from NLP: how we create emotions, how we access and maintain helpful, ecological states, high performance, presence, focus and clarity.
And there's more... we're going for enlightenment too!
- The sages' pathway to these special states of openness, relationship to nature, compassion, gratitude and joy in living in the beauty of the present moment, requires skill and commitment
- Research on meditation and mindfulness combined with linguistic approaches to change like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) are currently at the forefront of therapeutic and business leadership practice.
There really can be a kind of Zen in the art of the Meta Model!
And there are real-world benefits to acquiring these skills - being happier and more able to handle the 'ups and downs' of life, having the key tools to coach and to connect generativity to others, really matters both personally and professionally.
Join us in this beautiful church, near to the lovely Primrose Hill in London, for this unique Masterclass in NLP with Judith Lowe, one of the field's most experienced, creative and respected teachers.
"While Enlightenment may involve many sorts of experience, I think it is important here to notice how often enlightenment is a sudden realisation of the biological nature of the world in which we live. It is a sudden discovery or realisation of life." Gregory Bateson, Angels Fear.